Bishop Suter Art Gallery, Nelson
The gallery was founded in 1898 under the Suter Art Society Act 1897, as a memorial to Andrew Burn Suter, Bishop of Nelson. The trust board was incorporated under the Charitable, Religious, and Educational Trusts Act 1908. Income derives from £1,100 grant from the Nelson City Council, interest on investments, rentals, etc. Until recently there was no staff employed, the members of the board, assisted by members of the Suter Art Society, voluntarily carried out the work of the gallery. A gallery attendant has now been appointed.
The permanent collection includes comprehensive collections of watercolours by John Gully and J. C. Richmond, and a small but stimulating contemporary section. There have been valuable recent gifts from the Contemporary Art Society enriched by the Mollie Davies Stevens Collection.
Apart from the Suter Art Society exhibitions, the board arranges a number of loan exhibitions from local and other sources.