Invercargill Public Art Gallery
In 1951 the family of the late Sir Robert Anderson and Lady Anderson presented to the city of Invercargill for an Art Gallery the former home of their parents, a house of two storeys, Georgian in style and set in some 12 acres of parkland, surrounded by 60 acres of native bush. It is four miles north of Invercargill. The gallery is controlled by the executive of the Invercargill Public Art Gallery Society. The City Council keeps the grounds in order and makes a grant of £200 to the society. A grant from the Invercargill savings bank and members' subscriptions provide a further income.
Profits from art exhibitions staged regularly since 1944 by the art committee of the Southland University Association, together with occasional grants from the City Council and public, were used by the committee to acquire the nucleus of a civic collection. This has been steadily built up. The majority of the works are by New Zealand artists.