Story: Canterbury places

Rāpaki Māori church

Rāpaki Māori church

There has been a Māori settlement at Rāpaki, on Lyttelton Harbour, since at least the time of Ngāi Tahu settlement of the area. After the land purchases of the 1840s, land for Māori was set aside there. The church, dedicated in 1869, is one of several historic buildings still standing. This watercolour was painted in 1871.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: B-009-029
Watercolour by William Henry Raworth

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury places - Lyttelton Harbour', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/10247/rapaki-maori-church (accessed 20 October 2021)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015, updated 17 Aug 2015