The National War Memorial was dedicated on 25 April 1932 in front of a huge crowd. Sited in the Wellington suburb of Mount Cook, it features a 50-metre-high carillon (a set of bells in a tower) in the art deco style. In 1933 the artist Archibald Maylett painted this emotional vision of the dead from the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (which fought in the First World War) ascending past the carillon towards heaven.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.