Story: Volcanic Plateau places

Old mission house, Te Ngae

Old mission house, Te Ngae

Missionary Thomas Chapman and his wife Ann were based at Te Ngae from 1840 to 1851, when they left for Maketū, on the Bay of Plenty coast. The dwelling was no longer a mission house when John Kinder made this drawing of it in 1858.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-113-031
Indigo ink and wash by John Kinder

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Volcanic Plateau places - Around Rotorua city', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/15032/old-mission-house-te-ngae (accessed 30 March 2020)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 25 May 2015