Story: Volcanic Plateau places

Waitahanui pā

Waitahanui pā

Ngāti Tūwharetoa had an important settlement at Waitahanui, near where the Tongariro River enters Lake Taupō (not to be confused with the Waitahanui Stream, closer to Taupō town). Later, the paramount chief Mananui Te Heuheu moved to Te Rapa, above Waihī. George French Angas painted the Waitahanui about 1847, by which time it was referred to as the ‘old pā’.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PUBL-0014-18
Watercolour by George French Angas

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Volcanic Plateau places - Tūrangi district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/15086/waitahanui-pa (accessed 17 October 2021)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 25 May 2015