This watercolour, sketched at Ōhinemutu around 1848, is the only one which shows the carving, Pūkākī, as a kūwaha (gateway). A prominent bend in the Ngongotaha Stream is known as Pūkākī, and some cite this area as the source of the log from which Pūkākī was carved. Pūkākī was later converted from a gateway to a tiki (freestanding figure). By 1850 Pūkākī was sitting in front of Korokai’s chiefly residence, Te Angaanga at Ōhinemutu.
Using this item
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Ink and watercolour sketch by Captain T. J. Grant
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.