This watercolour shows the fortifications of Ōhinemutu pā, with Mokoia Island dominating the lake outlook. The billowing clouds of steam are from geothermal mud pools. Today this area is downtown Rotorua. In 1836 Te Waharoa attempted to avenge Te Arawa’s annihilation of Ngāi Te Rangi (descendants of Rangihouhiri) at Te Tūmū by attacking Ōhinemutu, but was unsuccessful.
Using this item
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Watercolour by John Guise Mitford
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.