Story: Auckland region

Te Maketū

Te Maketū

This 1880 painting by Alfred Sharpe shows the rock of Maketū (at Te Maketū) near Drury. This was the site of a built by Noia, a Wai-o-Hua chief, in the mid-1700s. During the late 1830s another pā was built on the slopes below by Pēpene Te Tihi, a Ngāti Tamaoho chief. In the 1840s Māori established extensive gardens here and provided Auckland with fresh produce. This land was confiscated during the New Zealand wars of the 1860s and Te Maketū was settled by Pākehā farmers. A farmhouse is visible at right.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: D-033-007
Watercolour by Alfred Sharpe

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Margaret McClure, 'Auckland region - Māori history', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/15889/te-maketu (accessed 10 December 2019)

Story by Margaret McClure, updated 1 Aug 2016