Story: Sheep farming

Waimate Mission Station, 1845

Waimate Mission Station, 1845

Stock breeding and rearing began in New Zealand in 1814 when Reverend Samuel Marsden transferred sheep and cattle from his farm in New South Wales to his mission station in the Bay of Islands. In 1831 Marsden established a new mission in the region, at Waimate North. Cyprian Bridge sketched this idyllic 1845 scene (later made into an engraving), showing sheep resting in the shade of the trees at the Waimate North Mission.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PUBL-0144-1-330
Wood engraving after a watercolour by Cyprian Bridge

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Hugh Stringleman and Robert Peden, 'Sheep farming - The establishment phase', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/16622/waimate-mission-station-1845 (accessed 28 September 2020)

Story by Hugh Stringleman and Robert Peden, published 24 Nov 2008, updated 3 Mar 2015