In 1846 a German Lutheran missionary, J. F. Riemenschneider, established this mission station at Wārea among the Taranaki tribe. However, he abandoned his post during increasing unrest between Māori and Europeans in 1860. Because of his support of the European cause, the Māori people did not allow him to re-establish his mission station after the war.
Using this item
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.