Ten English Electric ED locomotives were bought for use on the Wellington–Paekākāriki section of the North Island main trunk line – a stretch of line that was electrified by 1940. The first locomotive was built in Britain in 1937 as a prototype. Nine others were assembled at the Hutt and Addington workshops between 1938 and 1940.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1938, D-2
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.