Barracouta and red cod were important food sources for Otago Māori. This 1860s drawing shows Māori unloading a catch of barracouta, at Ōtākou pā. On the right are racks for curing the fish so it could be stored. The new lighthouse on Taiaroa Head can be seen in the background.
Using this item
Toitū Otago Settlers Museum
Reference: The illustrated New Zealander, 1867
Permission of Toitū Otago Settlers Museum must be obtained before any re-use of this image.