Charles Kettle’s 1849 sketch shows how much the town had developed in a year. Looking in the opposite direction to his 1848 drawing, it includes a cluster of houses, a substantial dwelling belonging to wealthy colonist W. H. Valpy, and the original First Church building.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Drawing by C. H. Kettle
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.