Story: City public spaces

Napier land office

Napier land office

Public buildings were among the first to be erected in new towns. This painting shows buildings along Napier’s Tennyson Street in 1860, six years after the settlement was founded. The government land office (far right) controlled land sales. Bluff Hill is in the background

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: B-156-008
Watercolour by James C. Collins

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Geoffrey Rice, 'City public spaces - Public spaces and public buildings', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/22896/napier-land-office (accessed 23 October 2019)

Story by Geoffrey Rice, published 11 Mar 2010