To reach the Otago Peninsula settlers had to walk along Old Andersons Bay Road, shown here in 1864. These mudflats were the outlet for many of Dunedin’s drains in the 1860s. Rubbish, rotting fish and stable manure was also dumped there, adding to the stench.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Artwork by A. Hamilton
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.