The Basin Reserve in Wellington was originally a swamp, but the land rose in the 1855 earthquake and two years later some cricket enthusiasts secured the area as a recreation reserve. It took some time before the ground was ready for cricket, and the first game was played in 1868. A grandstand was also built in that year. For a period the ground was also used for Caledonian games, but cricket took primacy, with the first official first-class match held in 1876. Christopher Aubrey's painting shows a game in progress in 1889.
Using this item
Wellington College Archives
Artwork by Christopher Aubrey
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.