Story: Waikato region

Kaitotehe pā

Kaitotehe pā

This lithograph of Kaitotehe near Taupiri is based on an 1844 painting by George French Angas. It shows a large complex of buildings grouped around a central marae (courtyard), with tall palisades around the perimeter. Kaitotehe was for a time the home of the chief Pōtatau Te Wherowhero, who became the first Māori king.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PUBL-0014-15
Tinted lithograph by J. W. Giles

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Waikato region - Māori settlement', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/27071/kaitotehe-pa (accessed 10 December 2019)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, updated 9 Jul 2015