The Reverend Richard Taylor sketched the Church Missionary Society mission house and church at Maraetai, near Waikato Heads, in 1847. The mission was established by the Reverend Robert Maunsell in 1839. Anglican, Wesleyan and Roman Catholic missionaries were active in the Waikato region from the 1830s, but most of the missions closed when war broke out in 1863.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.