Story: Missions and missionaries

Kohimarama Mission Station

Kohimarama Mission Station

The mission station at Kohimarama (Mission Bay) in Auckland was the headquarters for Church Missionary Society work in Melanesia in 1863, when this drawing was made. The mission buildings on the waterfront include a school for training Melanesian boys. The school was later moved to Norfolk Island. One of these buildings survives in 2019.

Using this item

Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: 4-2897

Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Peter J. Lineham, 'Missions and missionaries - Overseas missions', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/28024/kohimarama-mission-station (accessed 3 June 2020)

Story by Peter J. Lineham, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 8 Aug 2018