Story: Māori–Pākehā relations

Mission station, Paihia

Mission station, Paihia

This is the Church Missionary Society's mission station at Paihia, Bay of Islands, in the 1830s. The buildings are a mixture of Māori and European architecture, and two Māori canoes lie on the beach.

Using this item

Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: 4-1273
Engraving by James D. Richardson

Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Mark Derby, 'Māori–Pākehā relations - Missions and Māori', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/28554/mission-station-paihia (accessed 8 July 2020)

Story by Mark Derby, published 5 May 2011