This watercolour, painted by John Gully in 1882, shows the estuary at Delaware Bay looking southwest toward Cable Bay. Pepin Island is in the mid-ground at right and the hill at centre right is Drumduan. John Gully was drawing master at Nelson College from 1861 to 1863. During this period he sketched the Nelson lakes area and painted local scenes. From 1863 Gully worked as a draughtsman in the Nelson provincial survey office, becoming chief draughtsman in 1874. He retired from full-time work in 1877. The Suter art gallery in Nelson has the largest public collection of Gully’s paintings.
Using this item
The Suter - Te Aratoi o Whakatū, Nelson
Watercolour on paper by John Gully, 1882
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.