In 1841 workers assembled Governor William Hobson’s Government House in Auckland from 250 tonnes of material shipped out from England. It had 16 rooms and cellar space for 600 bottles of wine, but not even some additions designed by the governor himself could make it warm or comfortable. It burned down on 23 June 1848.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Watercolour by Edward Ashworth
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.