The erection of European-style houses in the first towns and the countryside signalled the colonisation of the New Zealand landscape. In 1841 Wellington had European housing along Lambton Quay. While Māori resided in Wellington at the time, their number decreased as the city grew. In this view Māori socialise beside a flagstaff above the town. While this was partly a device to provide pictorial interest, it also suggested Māori belonged on the periphery of town life.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.