Whāngārei harbour is at the heart of the Whāngārei tribes’ territory. This journal illustration is by Edward Ashworth, an architect who lived in Auckland from 1842 to 1844. At the top, it depicts Manaia, situated on the northern entrance of the harbour, and below that, the offshore Hen and Chickens Islands. In the bottom left corner is a Māori canoe, which might have been seen on the harbour in the 1840s, and at bottom right there is a map of Bream Head, which is the north-east entrance to the harbour.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.