This watercolour depicts St John's College Chapel in Auckland, around 1870. The building was designed by architect Frederick Thatcher and built in 1846. It was among a number of churches constructed under the direction of Bishop George Selwyn, who thought the Gothic revival style was most suitable for church building. These became known as the Selwyn churches. They had cruciform floor plans, gabled 60-degree-pitch roofs and lancet windows. Thatcher's first designs had an exterior frame (seen here), but these collected water, and his later designs had board-and-batten exteriors.
Using this item
Auckland Art Gallery – Toi o Tāmaki
Watercolour by John Kinder
Permission of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki must be obtained before any re-use of this image.