The needs of the new colonial capital, Auckland, fostered commerce throughout the upper North Island. Young men from the Bay of Plenty and other districts came to earn wages by making roads. Those who stayed behind grew and shipped potatoes, onions, corn, wheat and salt pork to the growing government town. This watercolour was painted about 1852.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.