Story: Northland places

Ships at anchor, Kororāreka

Ships at anchor, Kororāreka

This lithograph, dated 1840, shows a large number of vessels moored off Kororāreka (now known as Russell). In the 1830s the town was a trading centre for whalers, seafarers and merchants, but it also attracted deserters, escaped convicts and other lawless individuals. Several attempts to impose law and order culminated in the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840.

Using this item

Auckland Art Gallery – Toi o Tāmaki
Reference: 1984/35
Lithograph by Louis Le Breton

Permission of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland places - Russell', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/7801/ships-at-anchor-kororareka (accessed 13 December 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015