The Waiōmio Caves, 4 kilometres south of Kawakawa, are on land owned by descendants of the chief Te Ruki Kawiti. In 1882 artist Alfred Sharpe painted this view of the entrance to the caves, showing some of the stalactite formations within.
Using this item
Auckland Art Gallery – Toi o Tāmaki
Watercolour by Alfred Sharpe
Permission of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki must be obtained before any re-use of this image.