Believing that spiritual and practical instruction should be combined, the Reverend Samuel Marsden established a mission farm at Waimate North in 1831. The original aim of teaching agricultural and trade skills to Māori converts faded, and the station later became a theological college. This watercolour of the mission station dates from the 1830s or 1840s. A flag inscribed ‘Rongopai’ (heavenly peace) flies from the flagpole.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.