Ōwae – Te Āti Awa’s central marae – stands within the earthworks of the ancient pā, Manukorihi. On 27 June 1936 two memorials were unveiled there to Te Āti Awa doctor and politician Māui Pōmare – the carved house Te Ika-roa-a-Māui (left) and a marble statue of Pōmare (right).
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.