A government proposal to demolish Auckland's Government House so a new university could be built led to a public campaign to save the building and its grounds for historical reasons. The campaign was led by Auckland Central MP A. E. Glover, who in August 1910 organised a substantial 16,000-signature petition calling for the building to be kept. Such was its size that when he presented the petition to Parliament Glover struggled to be seen above it. The building's future was secured in 1916 when a new government decided to restore the building and use its grounds for the university.
Using this item
National Library of New Zealand, Papers Past
Reference: New Zealand Herald, 18 August 1910, p. 6
Permission of the National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.