The H-W Rabbit Exterminator, one of several machines for gassing rabbit burrows, came on the market around the beginning of the 20th century. It was invented by R. H. Hunter-Weston of Cottesbrook Station in Otago. The device sprayed liquid bisulfide into burrows, where it expanded to become a poisonous gas. Other machines worked by pumping the gas itself into rabbit holes.
Using this item
National Library of New Zealand, Papers Past
Reference: Otago Witness, 26 February 1908, p. 6
Permission of the National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.