Story: Anglican Church

Auckland City Mission, 1950s (2nd of 3)

Auckland City Mission, 1950s

Light beams invitingly from the open door onto a solitary and possibly homeless man in this 1950s pamphlet for the Auckland City Mission. The mission was established in 1920 under the vigorous leadership of the Reverend Jasper Calder, who challenged the Anglican Church to respond more actively to the needs of the poor. 'The Amazing Jasper', as he was known, built up the mission to include a night shelter with soup kitchen and medical clinic, children’s health camps, and a second-hand clothing shop to help fund the other services.

Using this item

The Anglican Diocese of Auckland, Auckland Anglican Diocesan Archives

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Allan K. Davidson, 'Anglican Church - Social services', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/ephemera/27686/auckland-city-mission-1950s (accessed 8 December 2021)

Story by Allan K. Davidson, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 20 Apr 2018