Mineral water was first bottled at Te Aroha in 1886, and the rural service town soon became well-known for its hot springs and mineral water. Mineral water was believed to possess health-giving properties, hinted at by the word 'tonic' in this poster, probably from the 1950s. In the 2000s Te Aroha's mineral water was off the menu – it was neither bottled nor available by the glass.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: ABKB W5035 7709 Box 6 M 81 (4b)
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence