Story: Public service

Public service employees, 1913–2009

Public service employees, 1913–2009

The number of permanent staff employed in New Zealand's public services increased greatly, but unevenly, during the 20th century. Two of the largest exceptions to the pattern of steady growth occurred just after the Second World War, when the number dramatically increased to cope with the needs of returning servicemen and their families, and from 1988, when a change in government economic and social policies resulted in a sharp drop in the numbers of public servants. The smaller drop in 1973 represents the transfer of public hospital staff to district health boards.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Alan Henderson, The quest for efficiency: the origins of the State Services Commission. Wellington: State Services Commission, 1990, pp. 397–398

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Richard Shaw, 'Public service - Reform, 1912 to 1962', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/graph/33017/public-service-employees-1913-2009 (accessed 10 August 2020)

Story by Richard Shaw, published 20 Jun 2012