Major town south-east of Hastings, with a 2013 population of 13,071. Havelock North is the urban centre of Hawke’s Bay’s wine country. Locals call it ‘the village’.
Havelock North was founded by the government in the late 1860 to provide land for small farmers and working-class settlers. However, most sections were bought by speculators and wealthy pastoralists, which prevented small farms from developing. The township was named after British general Sir Henry Havelock to commemorate his role in suppressing a rebellion against British power in India.
North and south
Havelock North started as plain Havelock. Another Havelock was founded in Marlborough about the same time. This caused problems for postal authorities and in 1910 the chief postmaster suggested the Hawke’s Bay township should change its name. Locals were incensed and members of the town board travelled to Wellington to protest to the minister of internal affairs in person. A name change was not enforced, but from this time ‘Havelock North’ was used informally.
Like other towns in the region, its growth was restricted by large pastoral stations on its fringes. The founding of Hastings in 1873, and the routing of the regional railway line through Hastings the following year, limited the growth of Havelock North for the next few decades.
The first orchards appeared in the 1870s, but they were not common until the early 20th century. Bernard Chambers established the first vineyard in 1892. Private schools were opened in the town to cater for the families of wealthy runholders. Subdivision of pastoral land from 1898 enabled the town to expand, and it became popular with retired people and, later, businesspeople who worked in Napier or Hastings. It is well known for its boutique vineyards and fine restaurants.
The Havelock Work
The Havelock Work, founded in 1907, was an arts and literary group with a keen interest in philosophical and spiritual matters. Members were prominent local people and well-educated newcomers to the area. They published a journal, held musical and dramatic events, and ran arts and crafts classes. Members were also interested in the mystical elements of Christianity. From the early 20th century the town became a centre of alternative spirituality and philosophy in New Zealand, for which the Havelock Work had paved the way.
In 2006 Havelock North had a significant proportion of residents (20%) over 65. Residents were much more educated and earned more than regional and national averages. However, residents of the council housing area around Anderson Park earned a lot less than the rest of Havelock North, and had lower qualifications. The Māori population of the Anderson Park area was 24%, which accounted for a big majority of the town’s Māori residents (8% overall).
Settlement between Clive and Hastings, with a 2013 population of 825. Whakatū was best known for its freezing works, which operated from 1915 to 1986.
Township between Napier and Hastings on the banks of the Clive River, with a 2013 population of 1,764. A trading post was established at Clive (then known by its Māori name Waipūreku) in 1850, and it rivalled Napier for a brief period. The development of Napier’s port and Clive’s vulnerability to floods limited its growth. Clive is predominantly residential, with rural lifestyle blocks on its fringes.
King of Haumoana
Haumoana had a king called Andy, elected by an overwhelming majority of voters in 2002 – though he was the only candidate. Andy Heyward came up with the idea as a way of promoting Haumoana: ‘Napier has its Bertie, Hastings has concrete sheep, Invercargill has Tim Shadbolt, Bluff has its paua house. I think it's time for Haumoana to have a King.’1 He 'abdicated' in 2011.
Coastal township with a 2013 district population of 2,256. Haumoana was part of runholder Joseph Rhodes’s station, Clive Grange, and became a popular recreational and camping spot with Hastings residents in the 1900s. The first town sections were sold in 1907. Since the 1990s land surrounding the township has changed from sheep and cattle grazing to vineyards and lifestyle blocks.
Nearby Te Awanga and Clifton have permanent dwellings, baches (holiday homes) and vineyards. The Clifton station homestead is a local landmark. The Cape Kidnappers gannet reserve can be accessed via the beach at Clifton.
Te Mata Peak
Significant peak in Hawke’s Bay, with an altitude of 399 m. The best-known Māori legend says the peak and hills are the body of Ngāti Kahungunu ancestor Rongokako. Te Mata Peak became a public park by way of a gift from John, Bernard and Mason Chambers in 1927.
Significant landmark and gannet reserve at the south end of Hawke Bay. Gannets have been nesting there since the 1870s. In 2002 US billionaire Julian Robertson bought nearby Summerlee station and converted it into an exclusive golf course and resort. Three landowners established a private wildlife reserve around Cape Kidnappers in 2007, but the main reserve is managed by the Department of Conservation.