Employment agencies that found jobs for servants were called registry offices. Mrs Hill’s Registry Office sits in a row of shops that includes a draper, grocer, hairdresser, tailor and toy shop at the bottom of Lambton Quay, Wellington. These shops were destroyed in about 1928–30 to build the Cenotaph. Government House sits in the background, where the Beehive is now.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.