Story: Cars and the motor industry

Car assembly at the Colonial Motor Company

Model T Fords were big business by 1922, when the Colonial Motor Company opened this nine-storey building in York Street in central Wellington. Car components shipped from the Ford factory in Canada were assembled with locally-manufactured fittings. Car bodies and chassis were lowered through successive floors of the building, with engines, wheels and trim added as they descended. The finished product was warehoused on the ground floor. 

Using this item

The Colonial Motor Company

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Eric Pawson, 'Cars and the motor industry - Car imports and the assembly industry', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/22840/car-assembly-at-the-colonial-motor-company (accessed 8 December 2021)

Story by Eric Pawson, published 11 Mar 2010, updated 15 Dec 2014