Story: Government and industrial development

Telecommunications, 1868–1892

The telegraph spread rapidly as a means of communication. The first line and network was set up by Canterbury’s provincial government in 1862, with other provincial governments soon following. By 1868 major towns and ports were connected. By 1880 smaller centres were connected in both North and South islands, and by 1892 the network included many rural towns.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1868, E-5, 1876, F1-A; 1890, F1

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Megan Cook, 'Government and industrial development - Encouraging industry from the 19th century', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/25849/telecommunications-1868-1892 (accessed 11 December 2019)

Story by Megan Cook, published 11 Mar 2010