An 1859 photograph of the pupils and staff of the Anglican mission school at Taupiri was later used as the basis for an engraving. The Church Missionary Society mission opened in 1842, and was run by the Reverend Benjamin Ashwell. Like other mission schools, it taught reading, writing and practical skills to Māori pupils of all ages.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Photograph reference: PA1-o-207-06