Story: Anglican Church

North Island mission stations to 1845

Click to see CMS, Wesleyan and Catholic missions in the North Island.

By 1845 the Church Missionary Society (CMS) had set up missions throughout the North Island, plus one (not shown on this map) in Nelson established in 1842. The earliest CMS missions were in the Bay of Islands, but others were formed in Tauranga and Coromandel in the mid-1830s as former slaves of Ngāpuhi, freed and converted by the missionaries, returned to their own tribes as evangelists for the church.

Using this item

Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Allan K. Davidson, 'Anglican Church - Missionary beginnings', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/27657/north-island-mission-stations-to-1845 (accessed 30 November 2021)

Story by Allan K. Davidson, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 20 Apr 2018