Story: Missions and missionaries

North Island mission stations, 1845

By 1845 three major churches – Anglican, Wesleyan and Catholic – had mission stations in New Zealand. Click on this map to see the location of each church's missions.

Using this item

Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Judith Binney, Judith Bassett, and Erik Olssen, The people and the land. Wellington: Allen & Unwin, 1990, p. 23

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Peter J. Lineham, 'Missions and missionaries - Methodist, Catholic and other missions', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/28009/north-island-mission-stations-1845 (accessed 9 July 2020)

Story by Peter J. Lineham, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 8 Aug 2018