Story: Dental care

Areas of fluoridation, 2017

The fluoridation of water to improve dental health began in Hastings in 1954, and following a commission of inquiry in 1957 there was a rapid adoption of the practice in the 1960s. The decision to introduce fluoride to water is made by local authorities, often following a referendum. There has been much debate about the effects – but most toothpastes also include fluoride. In 2017 all the major urban centres except Christchurch fluoridated their water. In the whole of Canterbury, only the township of Methven and Burnham military camp had fluoridated water.

Using this item

Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Drinking water for New Zealand

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Andrew Schmidt and Susan Moffat, 'Dental care - Wartime and state-supported dental care', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/30592/areas-of-fluoridation-2017 (accessed 24 November 2020)

Story by Andrew Schmidt and Susan Moffat, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 6 Nov 2018