Story: Kīngitanga – the Māori King movement

Roadside Stories: Tūrangawaewae – a place to stand

Tūrangawaewae marae at Ngāruawāhia is the seat of the Māori King movement, which developed in the 1850s to unify Māori and protect their land. Tūrangawaewae – literally ‘a place to stand’ – was built in the 1920s under the direction of Te Puea Hērangi, granddaughter of the second Māori king.

Listen to a Roadside Story about Tūrangawaewae. Roadside Stories is a series of audio guides to places around New Zealand.

Using this item

YouTube: Manatu Taonga's channel

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Archival audio sourced from Radio New Zealand Sound Archives. Sound files may not be reused without permission from Radio New Zealand Sound Archives (ID22952 Opening of Tūrongo Meeting House).

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Rahui Papa and Paul Meredith, 'Kīngitanga – the Māori King movement - Te Rata, 1912–1933, and Te Puea', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/37875/roadside-stories-turangawaewae-a-place-to-stand (accessed 2 October 2020)

Story by Rahui Papa and Paul Meredith, published 20 Jun 2012