Story: Art galleries and collections

Establishment of private dealer galleries, 1950 to 1970s

Modern dealer galleries, which focused on sales of original, contemporary art rather than reproductions and framing services, emerged after the Second World War. Their situation was tenuous in the 1950s, but dealer galleries became more securely established in the 1960s, which prompted more to open in the 1970s.

Using this item

Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Athol McCredie, 'Going public: New Zealand art museums in the 1970s'. MA thesis, Massey University, 1999

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Roger Blackley, 'Art galleries and collections - Galleries and collections, 1900 to 1960s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/42088/establishment-of-private-dealer-galleries-1950-to-1970s (accessed 16 November 2019)

Story by Roger Blackley, published 22 Oct 2014, updated 8 Aug 2016