During the northern war of the mid-1840s, Ngāpuhi leader Te Ruki Kawiti built a complex pā at Ruapekapeka which included fortified underground shelters. After a bombardment by British artillery, Kawiti and his men abandoned Ruapekapeka in January 1846. Its remains can still be seen today. Listen to a Roadside Story about Kawiti's pā.
Roadside Stories is a series of audio guides to places around New Zealand.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Taonga puoro courtesy of Richard Nunns.