From the late 1820s many whalers operated from shore-based stations around Foveaux Strait. The first shore station operated at Preservation Inlet for 10 years from 1829. Short-lived operations ran from Toetoes (Fortrose), Waikawa, Oue and Omāui in the 1830s. Those at Bluff and Jacobs River (Riverton/Aparima) lasted into the 1840s. Captain John Lort Stokes, calling at Bluff in 1850, commented on ‘the remnants of some large whaling establishment which, to judge from the bones scattered in immense quantities along the beach, must have been as prosperous as [it is] now unproductive. Not a whale spout is now to be seen where ten years ago, that number of fish were caught daily.’ (John Lort Stokes, ‘Cruize of HMS Acheron on the coast of New Zealand.’ The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle, June 1851.)
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.