In one Taranaki account the Tokomaru canoe was commanded by Manaia and landed at Tongapōrutu. In a second account, Whata was the commander and the canoe landed at the Mōhakatino River. The photograph shows elders presenting the anchor stone (Te Punga a Matori) and the adze (Poutama Whiria) from the canoe to Taranaki Museum (now Puke Ariki) in 1927.
From left to right are: Nohomairangi Te Whiti of the Taranaki iwi from Parihaka, Kapinga McClutchie of Ngāti Mutunga from Waitoetoe, and Rangi Matatoru Watson of Te Āti Awa from Waitara.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.