This tobacco tin was made in Nelson around 1940. By 1941 about 1,200 hectares of land around Motueka were planted in tobacco, accounting for 40% of the town’s horticultural income. Tobacco growing increased further in the 1950s, and the large, dark-green leaves of the crop were a familiar sight until the 1980s.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.